Ruin Surselva

Burg Jörgenberg/Casti Munt Sogn Gieri, Waltensburg

Aufnahme der Burganlage Jörgenberg im Winter.
Drohnenaufnahme der Burganlage Jörgenberg.

Show all 4 images

Innenaufnahme der Burganlage Jörgenberg in Waltensburg.

The Casti Munt Sogn Gieri on Jörgenberg near Waltensburg is the most imposing and oldest castle complex between the Rhine Gorge and the source of the Rhine.

Burg Jörgenberg/Casti Munt Sogn Gieri, Waltensburg

7158 Waltensburg/Vuorz


Jörgenberg is the largest castle complex in the Surselva. The walled castle area includes, not counting the moat, an area of about 100 by 70 meters. The complex is divided into a main castle, which extends over the plateau of the rock spur, and into a bailey, which includes an enclosed area on the southern uphill slope terrace. The entrance rises from the bottom of the ditch against the outer gate, which is laid out like a trusss between the main and outer bailey.

The outer bailey can be reached through its own wall opening in front of the outer gate. The main castle is completely surrounded by a perimeter wall. The development, which is located on the periphery of the site, is divided into four building complexes: the sacral area with the church of St. George, the high medieval feudal residential and defensive area, the high and late medieval administration and representation wing and the farm wing.

The church of St. George, which is located opposite the nave, dates back to ancient Carolingian times. The church was rebuilt and expanded around 1100. A bell from 1484 hung from 1562 in the tower of the church Waltensburg. In the south-western corner of the area is a well-preserved tower with five floors. On the 4th and 5th floor are the living rooms.

Inside, in the northwestern corner of the

main castle area, there are the remains of four unequally sized houses, the oldest is located directly in the Bering corner. They have ground-level entrances. These houses probably housed the stately offices. In the narrow northwestern part of the area there are sparse remains of two almost rectangular buildings, which probably housed stables or storage rooms.

At the beginning of the 14th century, the castle belonged to the Lords of Friberg. After the extinction of the Friberg around 1330, the castle came into the possession of the Rhäzünser.

Jörgenberg was thus the actual administrative centre for the Rhäzüns estates in the Surselva. The interest from the Lugnez, from Rueun and from the Alp Runaschg had to be delivered there. On 6 June 1462, the Rhäzünser sold the complex to Disentis Abbey. In 1580 Jörgenberg was sold to L. Gandreya, who is said to have lived in the castle. The structural decline of the castle occurred in the 16th and 17th centuries.

On the way back, about 600 meters southwest of the castle ruins, it is worth taking a detour on the path "to the gallows". The two stone pillars of a former gallows bear witness to witch hunts and executions in the 17th century.

(Text recorded by: Regiun Surselva)


Responsible for this content Surselva Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.