Ruin of a tower with bering and ancillary buildings on spur-like shaped moraine hills above the fraction Ringgenberg, Romanesque Zignau. The core of the complex is the tower, which consists of four storeys, each set off in the wall. In this way, the walls taper from 2.4 m to 1.3 m. Masonry of quarry stones and boulders, layered in storage. Schartenfenster and door surrounds with lots of tuff. In the east wall there is a high entrance on the 3rd floor. The lintel consists of a lunette-shaped workpiece and rests on pre-drawn console stones. The narrower end of the gallery door in the south wall of the 4th floor is constructed in the same way. The gallery, the course of which can be traced through the beam holes, extended over the entire southern front. On the west and north sides there are traces of an outer perimeter wall in front of it. The access from the southwest is still partly recognizable. Certain features date the tower to the middle or second half of the 13th century. Subsequently, at least one expansion must have taken place. The castle is mentioned in documents in the federal charters of Zurich, Zug and Glarus with the Confederates (1351/52) as the border point of the mutual auxiliary circle. The Lords of Ringgenberg are undoubtedly, as can be seen from the coat of arms, a branch of the Riggenbergs on Lake Brienz BE. In the course of the Walser migrations, they probably came to Graubünden - probably via the Valais - and built their castle as Disentis ministeriales. The fortress was abandoned in the 15th century.
(Recorded by Regiun Surselva)
Responsible for this content Surselva Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.