Lag da Pigniu / Lake Panix
Show all 3 images
The lake is two kilometres from the village of Pigniu. It is about 1.5 kilometers long and about 250 meters wide. It is fed by some unnamed mountain streams. An easy-to-walk hiking or walking trail. It takes about an hour to circumstrate. On the west side, several large waterfalls plunge into the valley.
The 270-metre-long dam was built between 1980 and 1990.
The facility consists of the dam with two water reservoirs on the eastern slope of the valley, the pressure tunnel to the water castle, another water reservoir at the water castle, the pressure tunnel and the headquarters in Ilanz.
the owners of the dam and the operator are the power plants Ilanz AG
In May 1999 the artist Martin Valär painted the dam with a huge picture. In 25 working days, a 195-metre-wide and 30-metre-high painting with twelve-metre-high soldiers was created. The theme is the crossing of the Panixer Pass by the Russian army under General Suvorov in the second colation war on 6 and 7 October 1799 on the retreat from the Glarus to Graubünden. 2000 soldiers were killed. Suvorov is depicted as a shaky blue tower, a symbol of how the general and his army had been pushed back and forth by the then rulers like on a chessboard. The fallen soldiers are depicted as pawns of a chess game. The dispersion paint used should withstand weather conditions for 20 to 30 years.
Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.