Ruine Grep Ault in Zignau
Mighty rocky hill on the right side of the Rhine as the crow flies between Trun and Zignau is the castle ruin Grepault. The hilltop drops in several steps from south to north. The ascent to the castle takes place from the south, where there is still a ramp that marks the old entrance. Since 1931, various exploratory and surface excavations have provided evidence of several prehistoric settlement horizons. The most recent occupancy period belongs to the early Middle Ages. From this come the remains of a fortified perimeter wall, which runs along the southern and western edge of the plateau. At the blunt-angled southwest corner, a truss branches off. The gate opening is located on the south side. On the periphery of the plateau, an early medieval church has come to light. Simple hall construction with unmanned apse growing without entry from the side walls, with free-standing altar and longitudinal annex of rectangular floor plan adjacent to the south. Parts of the perimeter wall and foundations of the church were kept visible after the excavations. The church probably belongs to the 6th or 7th century. The sparse soil finds from the 6th or 7th century indicate temporary use. The complex on the Grepault thus proves to be an early medieval church fort, which was probably abandoned in pre-Carolingian times, so that no conversion into a feudal castle such as Jörgenberg or Castrisch took place.
(Recorded by Regiun Surselva)
Responsible for this content Surselva Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.