The Upper or Schauenstein Castle, like the Lower One, goes back to a defensive element of the episcopal castle town of the Middle Ages. The Barons of Schauenstein, who owned rich estates on Heinzenberg as well as in Domleschg, made the former fortress tower the cornerstone of the castle they built between 1667 and 1676.
On the portal of the west wing, in addition to the year 1667, the initials and alliance coats of arms of Baron Johann Rudolf and his wife Emilie, née Molina, commemorate the builders of the complex. The last member of the Schauenstein family sold the castle and estates to Carl Ulysses von Stampa in 1732. After the great fire of 1742, which had also made this castle a ruin, only the eastern part was restored in a stately character, while the western part was made much simpler.
From manor to boarding school...
In 1769 Barbara von Planta acquired Schauenstein Castle for her adventurous son, Major Friedrich von Planta. He brought with him, probably from France, those delicious shepherd scenes painted on canvas in front of fine landscapes, which still adorn the walls of the hall in the east wing today and characterize its homely atmosphere.
Soon the manor of the restless "Ziska", as Frederick of Planta was commonly called with his nickname, went to the envoy Peter Conradin von Planta. After his death, his widow had a boarding school turned the west wing into a boarding school where Romance and Italian-speaking students could prepare for entry into the cantonal school. But in 1840 the school was closed again, and Schauenstein was left to his fate until Peter von Planta bought it in 1865, who then also acquired the episcopal castle in 1876.
... to the artists' and gourmet house
Peter's most famous son, Robert, succeeded his father as owner on Schauenstein. He had the castle completely renovated in 1910-1912 and made it a popular meeting place for artists and scientists of renown and name. The center of the witty circle was always the learned and hospitable landlord. A few years after Robert's death in 1937, Gaudenz von Planta sold the seat to Rudolf Schoeller in 1941, who sold it to Emser Werke in 1961. Today, the castle is run as a restaurant and hotel with 19 Gault Millau points by celebrity chef Andreas Caminada as an internationally acclaimed gourmet house.
Schauenstein Castle is used as a restaurant and hotel. The complex is located directly on the Burgenweg Domleschg.
Accessible by Postbus.
Parking on the north side of the village.
Responsible for this content Viamala Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.