Ruin Viamala

Burgruine Neu Sins / Canova

Ruine Alt Sins im Winter
Ruine Alt Sins im Winter

Show all 4 images

Burgruine Neu Sins / Canova

A rarity in the valley of castles and palaces: the castle ruin Neu Sins is the only round tower far and wide.


In medieval documents only the name Neu-Sins occurs. "Canova" = New house, seems to be a later romanization. The castle, probably built by the Lords of Vaz in the second half of the 13th century and inhabited by ministeriales, shared the fates of Alt-Sins until its decay. In 1574 Andreas von Salis zu Rietberg acquired the Canova estate and subsequently called himself "zu Neusins".

Today, half of the four-storey residential tower still exists, which was covered with a tent roof and crowned by a crenellation. Aborterker are located in the two floors, as well as remains of a fireplace and stove system. West of the tower is a square cistern built in rock ground.

The ruin is located on private property and is not open to the public. The facility is visible from the Burgenweg Domleschg.


Responsible for this content Viamala Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.