Chapel Surselva

Katholische Wegkapelle Sontga Clau (St. Nikolaus), Andiast

The Catholic wayside chapel Sontga Clau is located in the western part of the village of Andiast.

Katholische Wegkapelle Sontga Clau (St. Nikolaus), Andiast

Via Principala, 7165 Brigels

Description

The catholic chapel Sontga Clau was built in the 18th century in the western part of the village. Due to the construction of the new Waltensburg-Andiast road, the chapel had to be laid down. In 1930 it was rebuilt at the first houses in the village at the west entrance on the uphill side of the new road. It was last renovated in 1991.

The small one-room chapel faces north. It is windowless and has a barrel ceiling. At the flat back behind the brick canteen in a light blue painted round-arched niche is the carved wooden sculpture of the chapel patron St. Nicholas as bishop with mitre and crook.

The figure comes from the previous chapel. It was restored by sculptor H. Egli-Capaul, Andiast/Zurich, in 1991 and re-glazed in warm brown and dark red shades. The chapel has a round-arched door with a barred upper part on its south side facing the street. It is unstructured on the outside and provided with a light broom plaster over a grey base. The gable roof is covered with sheet metal sheets.

(Text entered by: Regiun Surselva)

Map

Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.