Church Engadin St. Moritz
Protestant Church of San Andrea
The old village church of Chamues-ch is one of the most important Gothic churches in the Engadin, thanks to its good state of preservation throughout. The oldest sections – the lower storeys of the tower along with the north wall of the current church – date from the 13th century, and as a result display Romanesque features. The church was first rebuilt in Gothic style in 1470: the nave was extended towards the south, and a new, square choir built to replace the Romanesque original. Soon after, in 1505, the church underwent a second and extensive renovation in which it acquired its present form. The master builder Bernardus of Poschiavo, who also worked on the churches of Zuoz, Scuol, Ramosch, Tschlin and San Gaudenzio above Casaccia, extended the choir, displacing the choir arch by more than a metre further into the nave. The Romanesque tower acquired two upper stories, along with its characteristic pointed spire.
Open all day
Responsible for this content Engadin St. Moritz Tourismus AG.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.