Castle Engadin Samnaun Val Müstair
Schloss Planta von Wildenberg
Show all 3 images
Schloss Planta von Wildenberg
Runatsch 124, 7530 Zernez
The castle stands majestically in the plain below the church hill and marks the transition to the old part of the village runatsch. Only the square tower still reminds of bygone times. This medieval residential tower was probably built around 1280 and was the property of the Lords Planta-Wildenberg. The unpopular lord of the castle, Rudolf von Planta, had executions carried out as a statute judge, which the population resented him. He was suspected of sympathy with the Catholics, ostracized by the court in 1618 and sentenced to death in absentia. Under the leadership of his opponent Baptista von Salis, the Engadine devastated his castle, but he fled. In 1627 he became an Austrian captain and ruled Zernez again, to the chagrin of the inhabitants who had to rebuild it. Over the centuries there have been many changes of ownership: from the Bishop of Chur, Conrad Planta from Zuoz, Knight Rudolf von Planta, families Bezzola and Hemmi to the municipality of Zernez.
The castle received its present appearance through the conversion and extension of the two additional wings in the 18th century. Miraculously, it was spared from the great village fire. In 1985 it was acquired by the municipality of Zernez for use as a municipal building. Since 2007 it has been home to the National Park Administration.
During the National Park Cinema Openair, the castle courtyard is transformed into a fairytale film set. The dramas now only take place on the screen and no longer behind the castle walls.
- By Rhaetian Railway (Landquart, St. Moritz, Pontresina and Scuol) every hour to Zernez
- By Postbus (from Malles/Müstair)
- By Engadinbus from La Punt-Chamues-ch
- From Zurich - via Landquart – Prättigau – Klosters - Davos – Flüelapass – Susch to Zernez. Other access passes are via Chur-Thusis-Tiefencastel via the Albula Pass (only open in summer) or the Julier Pass. In case of snow, a crossing over the passes is usually only permitted with chains or 4x4 vehicles.
- From the east: Via Landeck/Austria – along the Engadine Sterasse - Scuol – Zernez
- From the south: Via Ofen Pass (Val Müstair), from Livigno or via Reschen Pass – Scuol, as well as from the Upper Engadin via Samedan – Zuoz to Zernez
- If you want to avoid a pass trip by car, there is the possibility to load the car onto the rails, from Klosters/Selfranga to Sagliains/Lavin and vice versa (guests remain seated in the car).
- Free of charge in the Alossai car park, the community centre car park or the family bath car park.
- Further parking spaces at the train station and at Prà da Punt can also be used for several days.
Responsible for this content Tourism Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.