Info Point Viamala

Bischöfliches Schloss

The smallest city in the world has two magnificent castles. One is called the Lower or Episcopal Castle.


The construction dates back to the term of office of the Chur bishop Henry III of Montfort around 1260. In 1354 Fürstenau received city rights as an important place on the Septimer route. This was followed by numerous, sometimes radical expansions and conversions. The city fire of 1742 was devastating. Subsequently, under Bishop Benedict von Rost, the castle received its present appearance. Fürstenau was the administrative centre of the episcopal lordship in domleschg and Heinzenberg. The bishop often resided here, issued documents, collected interest and indulged in his passion for hunting. The castle later served as a forced and rescue institution, as a food house for young people and as a second country hospital in the canton. In 2016, the current owners took over the castle and restored it elaborately and expertly.


The Episcopal Castle in Fürstenau is privately owned and is not open to the public. The complex is located directly on the Burgenweg Domleschg.


Responsible for this content: Viamala Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.