Info Point Viamala
The name is derived from «Jugum altum» (= high yoke). The Innerjuvalt complex is divided into a lower and an upper castle. On the upper castle, a two-storey palace and a southern outbuilding were first built by the Lords of Juvalt around 1250, then the three-storey keep with high entrance and the southern palas were built. After some inheritances, the castle passed to the Bishop of Chur in the 14th century. From the middle of the 15th century, those of Juvalt seemed to have lived in a courtyard at the foot of the mountain. Around 1500 Hochjuvalt was probably abandoned and around 1550 it was mentioned as a ruin. In recent decades it has been uncovered and restored by the Domleschg and Graubünden Castle Association under the direction of F. Nöthiger.
Responsible for this content: Viamala Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.