Kapelle Sontgaclau e Sogn Valentin, Vattiz
Show all 9 images
This octagonal, detached church with the hexagonal tower, of which almost nothing is known about the history of the building, immediately catches the eye of every visitor.
Keys available from Silvia Caduff, Tel. 081 931 15 61
This octagonal, detached church with the hexagonal tower, of which almost nothing is known about the history of the building, immediately catches the eye of every visitor. Fortunately, during the last renovation in 1981 by architect Peter Zumthor, the tin roof of the dome was replaced by a cover with larch shingles.
The interior (3) has no actual choir. The stucco altar (4) is accentuated by two black columns each. The altarpiece shows the two chapel patrons Nicholas and Valentine as bishops. Above them hovers the Mother of God with her child. Around 1700, an unknown artist painted the Descent from the Cross (5) in the dome. The walls with the twelve apostle crosses are decorated with the life-size figures of the church patrons Valentin (6) and Nicholas (7), who carries the three golden balls. Antony of Padua and an unknown Capuchin monk complete the group. Teasing angels (8) wear their pedestals.
Text and photos: Walter Müller (firstname.lastname@example.org) in cooperation with Surselva Tourismus
Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.