Church Val Surses Savognin Bivio

Kirche Son Martegn

img_4kq_fdjdiihj
img_4kq_fdjdiiia

Show all 3 images

img_4kq_fdjdiiic
The church dominates the villagescape and is one of the most important baroque churches in Graubünden.

Description

The church of Son Martegn in Savognin was consecrated in 1677. In the center of the vault is the beautiful ceiling painting "La Gloria del Paradiso".

The present church was consecrated in 1677. It is the third sacred building at this point and dominates the villagescape, especially impressively when it shines high up from black night. Above the ground plan of a Greek cross rises a flat dome, which is completely painted. Thus, the two brothers Nuvolone create a magnificent picture of the city of the chosen ones The theme of the more than 100m² painting is the vision of the heavenly Jerusalem. Walls and 12 gates surround the city. This church is one of the most impressive art experiences in Surses, because of the ceiling painting. The seven concentric circles create the illusion of a high-rising round top and symbolize paradise.

Directions

Public Transport

By PostBus from Chur to Savognin or by Rhaetian Railway to Tiefencastel and from there by PostBus to Savognin.

Directions

Take the Thusis Süd exit and continue in the direction of St. Moritz to Savognin.

Parken

At the Savognin cable cars or next to the church. Please note the signage on site.

Map

Responsible for this content Tourismus Savognin Bivio Albula AG.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.