Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul Meierhof, Obersaxen
Show all 7 images
Although this late Gothic building was damaged in the village fire of 1740, it was essentially preserved until 1904. Subsequently, the entire complex was rebuilt with the exception of the tower
In the Carolingian Imperial Guturbar of about 840, St. Peter's Church is mentioned for the first time as a royal church. Otto I donated the church to the Diocese of Chur in 956. There are no more parts of this early medieval building, but the tower, 1200, of the Romanesque stock. On 30.04.1406 an indulgence is granted in Obersaxen with the consecration of the church. Whether the indulgence is related to a construction operation is not certain. This also applies to the next two consecrations in 1441 and 1473, in which the church and choir including three altars were reconsecrated. On the other hand, the two subsequent consecrations are certainly related to the late Gothic reconstruction of 1500. In 1509 the parish church was consecrated again. First, the choir was probably completely rebuilt and then the ship was rebuilt. Both times St. Peter is the sole title of the church, but St. Paul already appears as a co-patron of the high altar. Although this late Gothic building was damaged in the village fire of 1740, it was essentially preserved until 1904. Above the east-facing choir rested a two-and-a-half-bay star vault of the same figuration as st. Martin's. Above the nave was formerly a wooden ceiling, which was replaced by a flat plaster ceiling after the fire.In 1904/05, the entire complex was rebuilt with the exception of the tower.
The church is a new building in 1904/05. The tower dates back to the Romanesque period. Square light slots at the bottom, round-arched narrow windows above. On the top floor, two-part arched windows. An octagonal pointed helmet over eyelashes with a viewing arch window.
In 1643 the church had a Gothic high altar and two Baroque side altars. After the village fire, three new wooden altars were built in 1740. Parts of the old altars are located in the chapels of Miraniga and the chapel of St. George.
Cult devices: Two Gothic chalices, three Baroque chalices with St. Peter and Paul.
Bells: From the years 1740 and 1743 with inscriptions.
(Text entered by: Regiun Surselva)
Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.