Ruin Viamala

Ruin Hasensprung

Ruine Hasensprung Rodels

Built in the 13th century - destroyed during the Schams feud in 1415: an inconspicuous ruin on the edge of Pratval.


It can be assumed that the castle originally belonged to the Vaz family. That it was then broken in the Schamserfehde is also only conjecture. There is no documentary evidence of the castle.

However, the Hasensprung hill is mentioned in the cathedral chapter's land register from around 1370.

Today, there is a considerable amount of rubble on the castle site. As a result, the ground plan is no longer recognisable. It was probably a tower with an adjoining ring to the west. An angle of the wall still stands from the tower, which consists of an excellent formation of layered blocks.

Three embrasures have been preserved in their entirety, the upper ones with a straight bank and the lower ones with a sloping bank. Traces of further embrasures and parts of a chimney with a sloping flue can be seen on the demolished sections.

At the southern edge of the plateau there are artificially sealed rock sections. Access was possibly from the south (uncertain traces of a ramp).


Hasensprung is only accessible via private land. The site is visible from the Domleschg Castle Trail.

Opening hours

The ruins are freely accessible.


Responsible for this content: Viamala Tourism.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.