Ruin Engadin Samnaun Val Müstair

Ruine Chanoua

img_4kq_daecfcij
Ruine Chanoua
Ruin Chanoua – the remains of the old Sust, probably once the most important building of the faction.

Description

Of the faction Chanoua, which is mentioned in the old municipal statutes as a small group of houses around a chapel, only the ruins of a stately building remain. These are probably the remains of the old Sust, probably the once most important building of the faction. For the first time in the 9th century, a "fiscal taberne" is mentioned here near Ardez on the former connecting road "Via imperiala" Como – Tyrol. The building served both as a hostel and as a transshipment point for all kinds of transport goods. Presumably, the house was rebuilt after it was destroyed by fire on March 24, 1742. Later, the economy in Chanous is mentioned again by the chronicler Martin Padrotsch, when on 21 September 1773 on the occasion of the cattle market in Ardez a considerable number of market visitors gathered there for lunch.

The census of 1850 mentions in Chanoua only one farm inhabited by the Marugg family of five. Apparently, the remaining buildings had already fallen apart or were no longer habitable. The residential wing was temporarily inhabited until 1910. 

Directions

Public Transport

  • With the Rhaetian Railway (from Chur, Prättigau or Upper Engadine) every hour to Ardez

Directions

  • From the north: via Landquart – Klosters by car transport through the Vereina tunnel (Selfranga - Sagliains) or over the Flüela Pass into the Lower Engadine on H27
  • From the east: via Landeck / Austria in the direction of St. Moritz on H27
  • From the south: via Reschenpass (Nauders-Martina) or Ofenpass (Val Müstair-Zernez) on H27

Parking

  • Paid parking in the village

Contact

Responsible for this content: Tourism Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.