Church Disentis Sedrun

Dorfkirche S. Gions, Disentis

Kirche S. Gions Disentis
S. Gions

Show all 3 images

Disentis
The first documentary mention goes back to the year 1261.

Description

The foundation stone of today's Baroque building was laid on 22 April 1640. Since the square to the east was unfavorable from the slope, the church was simply reversed. Some parts of the old church were left standing and supplemented the building to the largest baroque church in the canton of Graubünden. In 1641 the organ was installed, the first organ in a parish church in the canton. However, it was replaced by another organ in 1661. In 1667 the church tower was raised for the first time and received four new bells in 1686.During the French invasion in May 1799, the interior of the church and the bells were destroyed, but were rebuilt shortly afterwards. In 1803, the Italian painter Sartori created the Stations of the Cross panels. In 1830 the tabernacle bought from Brienz (GR) came to Disentis. The two side altars are dedicated to the Mother of God. In the two side chapels there is an altar dedicated to St. Carolus Borromeo on the right and to Mary Magdalene on the left. In the left side chapel is also the body of Christ. This plaster figure is used for the traditional Good Friday service.

The pulpit was only built after the fire of 1799. The baptismal font, made of Russein marble, as well. At the very back is the confessional, a work by Brother Theodor Stäuble from 1946.

The baroque decorations can be found throughout the church, especially in the choir area, where the angel ballet surrounds a monstrance. Together with the altars, these stuccoes form a magnificent Baroque building. Gothic windows let enough light into the room to crown the whole thing.

(Text from brochure "Kleiner Kirchenführer")

Directions

Public Transport

By train from Lucerne over the Oberalp Pass or from Zurich via Chur to Disentis. On foot 3 minutes

Directions

By car from Lucerne over the Oberalp Pass or from Zurich via Chur to Disentis. The Oberalp Pass is closed in winter.

Parken

Parking at the church (blue zone)

Map

Responsible for this content Sedrun Disentis Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.