There is hardly a second historical city in Switzerland of such petite dimensions as Fürstenau in the Domleschg. It overlooks the right-rhine floodplains of the princes from a rocky promontory. Thus the Bishops of Chur called themselves the former lords of this city and the surrounding estates. In its recent history, the building served, among other things, as a food house for children who were employed in the Albula spinning mill. The Münstervalley Capuchin Father Theodosius Florentini, one of the greats among the social reformers of the 19th century, was the driving force behind the project. After Florentini's death, the building from 1871 away housed the newly founded secondary school, until 1876 it was privately owned. The buyer was Peter von Planta from the Zuozer line, a savvy merchant who had retired from the cotton export business founded with his cousin in 1877. He carried out various reconstructions and renovations at the castle in 1877 and 1896 and had it set up as a hospital for the time being. But this "second rural hospital of Bünden" had to be abandoned in 1896, partly due to a lack of occupation.
The Episcopal Palace in Fürstenau is privately owned and is not open to the public. The complex is located directly on Burgenweg Domleschg.
Reachable by Postbus
PP are available north of the town
Responsible for this content Viamala Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.