Info point Viamala
The fact that someone wanted to build a castle here cannot have been solely due to the beautiful view. Who built here, you don't know. A noble family with the name of Tagstein is not known. In its first mention in 1322, the castle was still called Taxstein, which suggests a place where badgers live. Just as well, the old first name Dago could have stood by Gevatter. The complex is located behind a mighty shield wall and was built in at least two phases. This suggests a longer lasting habitation. Its walls are built of quarry stones, occasionally in Opus spicatum. Opus picatum is a masonry of stones, which are arranged in layers upright alternately diagonally offset against each other and thus form an ear-like pattern.
Obertagstein is located high above Thusis and is open to the public. Reachable on foot in about 1h 30min from Burgenweg Domleschg.
Responsible for this content Viamala Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.