Info point Viamala
Porta Rätica / Hochjuvalt
The castle was probably built in the 12th century as the seat of the Lords of Juvalt, who are first mentioned around 1123 and later in 1149. Much more than a tooth from the once five-storey keep can no longer be seen today. The complex is located on a narrow rocky outcrop about 200 meters high above the Rhine. In the Middle Ages, this ideal defensive location led to the customs station built at the foot of the rock on the passing Reichsstrasse. The location was also the reason for the tank barrier erected during the 2nd World War with multi-storey infantry (anti-tank guns and machine guns). One of the vaults of the Swiss National Bank for the decentralised storage of valuables and documents was also located here. The cultural institution "Pro Castellis" elaborately secured the castle site in 2010–2013.
Responsible for this content Viamala Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.