Ruin Viamala

Porta Rhaetica

Porta Rhaetica
The defensive bastion is located at the entrance of the Domleschg, where the valley flanks almost touch each other. For seven centuries, this dam controlled transit traffic on its way to Splügen and the San Bernardino Pass.


From 1216 to 1823 all traffic to and from Italy had to pass through the bottleneck of Juvalt. Abandoned around 1500, the dam experienced a renaissance as a military obstacle against the Axis Powers in 1940. The 700-year-old walls are complemented with tank obstacles. Deep in the rock, a fortress and vault for gold were built. From 2010 to 2013, the ensemble of four monuments of national significance are comprehensively secured. The Porta Rhaetica educational trail is freely accessible and leads to three information stations that tell the story of the four monuments in Porta Rhaetica.

Opening hours

The historical ensemble on Polenweg in Rothenbrunnen is open all year round. The Porta Rhaetica nature trail leads through history with three information stations. The rest area with fireplace and fountain is open during the day.


Public Transport

Rothenbrunnen can be reached by PostBus or the Rhaetian Railway.

  • From the train station, the ruin can be reached within 20 minutes on foot (Online timetable)
  • From the bus stop "Rothenbrunnen, Dorf" the ruin can be reached within 15 minutes on foot (Online timetable)


Plan your journey with the Google route planner.


Free parking is available about 500 meters in front of the ruin (location Google Maps).


Responsible for this content Viamala Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.