Ruin Viamala

Porta Rhaetica

Porta Rhaetica
The defensive bastion is located at the entrance of the Domleschg, where the valley flanks almost touch each other. For seven centuries, this dam controlled transit traffic on its way to Splügen and the San Bernardino Pass.


From 1216 to 1823 all traffic to and from Italy had to pass through the bottleneck of Juvalt. Abandoned around 1500, the dam experienced a renaissance as a military obstacle against the Axis Powers in 1940. The 700-year-old walls are complemented with tank obstacles. Deep in the rock, a fortress and vault for gold were built. From 2010 to 2013, the ensemble of four monuments of national significance are comprehensively secured. The Porta Rhaetica educational trail is freely accessible and leads to three information stations that tell the story of the four monuments in Porta Rhaetica.

Opening hours

The historical ensemble on Polenweg in Rothenbrunnen is open all year round. The Porta Rhaetica nature trail leads through history with three information stations. The rest area with fireplace and fountain is open during the day.


Public Transport

Rothenbrunnen can be reached by PostBus or the Rhaetian Railway.

  • The ruins can be reached on foot within 20 minutes from the railway station (online timetable)
  • From the bus stop "Rothenbrunnen, Dorf" the ruins can be reached on foot within 15 minutes (onlinetimetable)


Plan your journey with the Google route planner.


Free parking is available approx. 500 metres from the ruins(Google Maps location).


Porta Rhaetica

Pro Castellis, 7405 Rothenbrunnen

Responsible for this content: Viamala Tourism.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.