Burgruine Salons in Schlans
Castle site on a steep rock head above Schlans, on the way to the Maiensässen. Deep ditch on the mountain side. Some remains of a formerly important castle complex. In the northeast corner of the area foundations of a possibly never completed quadrangular tower made of megalithic blocks. On the west side over abrupt rock fall remains of the gate system; conical corridor, formerly accessible via wooden walkway. Considerable remains of the ring wall in the northwest and southwest part. Here are traces of two subsequently added trusses or support pillars. Inside the castle area, next to the aforementioned tower remains, there are still traces of a square house. The megalithic tower probably belongs to the early 13th century. Individual parts of the bering are likely to be younger. The considerable extent of the castle and its location in the high-altitude clearing area above Schlans indicate more the center of the small allodial rule of Schlan than the very modest tower near the village. The field name "Plaun da Plaids" east of the castle, which denotes a court square, supports this assumption. The lordship of Schlan does not appear in the springs until the 14th century, after it had passed from the now extinct lords of Schlans-Grünenfels to the Montalt. When in 1357 Heinrich von Montalt transferred Schlans Castle with all goods and rights to his brother-in-law, Baron Ulrich Walter von Belmont, in order to receive it back later as Leibgeding, the castles of Schlans/Salons and Grünenfels already formed a stately unit. Schlans thus shared the fate of the Grünenfels lordship in the late Middle Ages, which in turn was to merge into the Rhaeen lordship of Jörgenberg in 1378. Salons Castle was probably abandoned in the course of the 14th century. The former fortress is still remembered by the name "Val Casti", which adheres to the tobel near the castle.
(Recorded by Regiun Surselva)
Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.