Church Engadin St. Moritz

Catholic church San Spiert

img_4kq_hadbhdbf
img_4kq_feiidfga

Description

The current church has a turbulent history. It has undergone three construction phases in its 90-year history. In January 1923, the entire complex of the Restaurant-Casino Tais – consisting of a restaurant, a casino hall and a stable built underneath it – was purchased. While the restaurant was still operating, the hall was converted into a church and as early as 15 July, 1923, it was inaugurated by the vicar general of Chur, who later became Bishop Dr. Laurentius Matthias Vinzenz. A second construction phase followed in 1927 when the restaurant was converted into a presbytery. In addition, a Roman steeple was built in between the presbytery and the church and was given a small bell dating back to 1597. Virtually no changes were made to the interior of the church. The sacristy was still located at the back of the presbytery. There was also still a small gallery at the back with a harmonium. The church with its 100 seats was always far too small, in particular during the main season. This situation necessitated an expansion. In July 1955, work began on the expansion. The nave was extended to include a large chancel. A side chapel – known as the Brother Klausen Chapel – was built on the right of the new chancel, and the sacristy was constructed on its left. This gave the church 100 additional seats and so it has 200 to 230 seats today.

Opening hours

open: from 01.01.2019 to 30.11.2022
Daily 6.30am - 9.30pm

Map

Responsible for this content Engadin St. Moritz Tourismus AG.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.