Church Bregaglia Engadin

Chiesa San Martino

Bondo
San Martino
The Reformed Church of S. Martino in Bondo is a Protestant Reformed church under the protection of the Canton of Graubünden.

Description

The building, designed as a hall church with a wide semicircular apse, was consecrated as a uniform Romanesque building on 30 January 1250 by Bishop Volkard von Neuburg.  The simple building with its important proto-Renaissance paintings from the 15th century, in particular the depiction of the Last Supper, is one of the most important in the canton.

During the restoration in 1960/61, frescoes depicting St. Christopher, St. Martin, John the Evangelist, James the Elder, Anthony the Hermit and the coats of arms of Bishop Ortlieb von Brandis (1458-1491) were discovered and uncovered on the main eastern façade. On the south wall of the nave, cut by the supporting pillar of the vault, a last supper. The table is richly set with wine, bread, an Easter lamb, fish, artichokes and crabs.

Thanks to its excellent acoustics, St. Martin's Church is often used for concerts.

Prices

free

Directions

Parking

PP behind the church

Contact

Responsible for this content: Bregaglia Engadin Turismo.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.