Info point Viamala
Ehrenfels Castle lives up to its name. But some things about them are a secret. There is little that has been handed down about their history and their builders. In 1257, the Lords of Ehrenfels were mentioned once with the name.
The tower probably dates back to the 13th century, the other buildings are younger. Soon after 1600, the castle was abandoned. In 1933, the Swiss Castle Association acquired the heavily decayed complex. Its first president, the controversial architect Eugen Probst (1873–1970), decided to rebuild the castle with unemployed young people. Since the restoration took place without archaeological-scientific accompaniment, we do not know what the ruin actually looked like – what we see has sprung from the imagination of the architect.
Ehrenfels is now used as a youth hostel for groups. The complex is located directly on the Burgenweg Domleschg.
Responsible for this content Viamala Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.