Evangelische Kirche im Tal
HistoryThe church, consecrated in 1441, is considered the oldest church in the valley. It was built with three altars. She also received the right to funeral and baptize. Its late Gothic bells - cast in 1454 and 1457 - still call the faithful to prayer today. The baptismal font, crowned with a gnarled branch, dates from 1503.
At the consecration of the church in 1441, Bishop Heinrich von Hewen established the church consecration feast on the Assumption of the Virgin Mary on 15 August. To this day, the Safier celebrate the Thaler-Chilbi on a weekend in August.
The Safiers, although they led a hard and barren life, looked at their churches. In 1757 a massive renovation of the church took place. The choir was vaulted and larger windows were inserted. The ship received a new wooden ceiling, and the enclosed vestibule was added.
From the earlier late Gothic windows, a fish bubble tracery on the lower Turrahus is still preserved further into the valley.
Until about 1850 the church was covered with shingles. Then it was decided to use green slate slabs, which were carved near the church.
Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.