Kapelle Sogn Carlo Borromeo (Sogn Carli), Uors
Show all 12 images
The chapel is open in summer from 09.00 - 17.00. In winter it is closed.
In 1616, the choir of the old chapel was laid down and replaced by the current building. Hans Jakob Greutter from Brixen in South Tyrol was commissioned to paint it in its entirety. It was not until 1926 that the original paintings were discovered, which had been whitewashed at an unknown time (1).
In the fan vault of the choir (2), the Church Fathers and Evangelists (3) can be seen in the individual gussets. They are usually labeled with ribbons. On the left is a representation of the Lord's Supper. Opposite Greutter signed the disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane (4). The 12 ancestors of Christ are on the inside of the choir arch. For most viewers, they are likely to be relatively unknown except David, Salomon and Jesse (5). Greutter signed this painting in the bow crown with his full name (6).
The altar in the choir shows in the predella the sweat cloth of St. Veronica (7). In the altarpiece, Mary appears on a cloud (8). Among them kneel the patron saint of the chapel, St. Borromeo as well as John the Baptist and Saint Nicholas of Myra.
From the nave you can see an Annunciation to the left and right of the choir arch, similar to the one that Hans Ardüser had painted in the chapel of St. Roch in Vella a few years earlier. On the left the angel Gabriel appears, on the right Mary kneels in front of her lectern (9).
The windowless north wall covers the cycle of 21 individual images on the life of Saint Borromeo (10), who lived from 1538 to 1584 and supported the Counter-Reformation in the canton of Graubünden.
Text and photos: Walter Müller (email@example.com) in cooperation with Surselva Tourismus
Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.