There is hardly a second historic city in Switzerland with such delicate dimensions as Fürstenau im Domleschg. It looks from a rocky promontory to the right bank of the Rhine meadows of the princes. This is how the bishops of Chur called themselves the former lords of this city and the estates surrounding it. In its recent history, the walls have served, among other things, as a food house for children who were employed in the Albula spinning mill. The Münstertal Capuchin Father Theodosius Florentini, one of the great social reformers of the 19th century, was the driving force behind the project. After Florentini's death, the building housed the newly founded secondary school from 1871 until it became privately owned by purchase in 1876. The buyer was Peter von Planta from the Zuozer line, a shrewd merchant who had withdrawn from the cotton export business founded together with his cousin in 1877. In 1877 and 1896 he carried out various conversions and renovations of the castle and had it set up as a hospital for the time being. But this "second rural hospital of Bünden" had to be abandoned in 1896, partly due to a lack of occupation.
The Episcopal Castle in Fürstenau is privately owned and is not open to the public. The complex is located directly on the Burgenweg Domleschg.
Reachable by Postbus
PP are available north of the town
Responsible for this content Viamala Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.