Chapel Disentis Sedrun

Kapellenruine Sogn Benedetg, Sumvitg


Show all 6 images

The chapel ruins of Sogn Benedetg, with a horseshoe-shaped choir from the 9th century, are the oldest documented chapel of its kind. It was largely destroyed by a huge dust avalanche on 10 February 1984 and restored again in 2013.


In 2006, the local Vitus Bass campaigned for the already heavily decayed ruin with its 1000-year history to be preserved for future generations. In cooperation with the Denkmalpflege Graubünden, it was lovingly restored in 2013 by pensioners from S. Benedetg and Clavadi with a lot of passion.

In June 2016, the restored chapel ruin was re-blessed with a celebration by Abbot Vigeli Monn of disentis Monastery. On the occasion of this celebration, a presentation of the World Court "Himmel und Holle" and an information board were set up.

With the chapel ruins and their ancient history, a sacred building with high cultural value has been preserved for future generations.


Responsible for this content Surselva Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.