Church Surselva

Katholische Pfarrkirche St. Julitta und Quiricus, Andiast

Das Foto zeigt die Pfarrkirche St. Julitta von Aussen
Das Foto zeigt die Pfarrkirche St. Julitta von Innen

Show all 3 images

Das Foto zeigt die Pfarrkirche St. Julitta
The Catholic parish church of St. Julitta and Quiricus is surrounded by the village cemetery in the northeastern part of the village outside the village road. According to a bull, the church is said to have been owned by the monastery of Pfäfers around 998. Unfortunately, this document is a fake. The first documentary mention comes from the year 1461.

Katholische Pfarrkirche St. Julitta und Quiricus, Andiast

7159 Andiast

Description

The two basement floors of the tower are said to have been built around the year 1000, i.e. in early Romanesque times. Older date is the tower. This is divided into two parts and the lower part dates from the 11th century. The church of St. Julitta belonged to the parish of St. Leodegar in Waltensburg. It separated from it on 8 September 1526, shortly before Waltensburg converted to the Reformation.

The oldest bell of the three-part bell was cast in 1628. In 1703 the old church was laid down, but the tutm remained. On 16 July 1716, the new parish church was consecrated by Bishop Ulrich VII. Around 1770 Anton Sacchi from Disentis delivered the first organ. Under the direction of architect Ulrich Coray from Ilanz, a major reconstruction took place in 1939. The nave was extended by 4 m to the west, a new gallery was installed and the open vestibule was added. A restoration of the high altar took place in 1940. The old altarpiece was replaced by a votive painting from 1731. The choir faces northeast. It is retracted, closed on three sides. During the renovation of 1939, the ship was extended to the west by 4 m. Along the choir side walls stands the simple choir stalls from 1707. On the marbled wooden apendium is the semi-plastic figure of St. Julitta with her son Quiricus, framed by gold-colored acanthus leaves and red flowers. Outside the columns and above the segment roof there are various statutes: below a holy king and a martyr, above it the holy women Verena von Zurzach and Ursula, Saint Joseph with the child Jesus and above it a holy apostle. The altarpiece is a votive painting with St. Julitta with her son Quiricus from 1731. On each side are three scenes from the martyrdom of the two. In the lower part of the altarpiece, the founder, Ensign Johann Paulus von Weckherr, is depicted in front of an altar, as well as the two St. John the Baptist and Paul, the patron saint of the founder. In the niche between two rotated columns stands the statue of the Mother of God Mary, depicted as the Queen of the Rosary with the Child Jesus in her arms. On the roof are the figures of St. Christopherus, flanked by the Disentis monastery patrons St. Placidus and Sigisbert. In the niche of this altar, which is lined with red fabric, stands a statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus from the 20th century. In the canopy you can see the figure of St. Sebastian at the top and the figures of Peter and Paul to his side. Some of these figures come from the old Gothic winged altar, which was still mentioned in 1643. On the church walls hang 14 Stations of the Cross in gold frames, signed by Johann Mathias Jehly in 1796. On the brick shaft of the tower is a carpentered bell room. The 3 bells hang in two floors and are electrically driven.

(Text entered by: Regiun Surselva)

Map

Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.