Castle Engadin Samnaun Val Müstair

Planta Castle of Wildenberg

Schloss Planta von Wildenberg
Schloss Planta von Wildenberg

Show all 3 images

Zernez
Between the former farm Wildenberg and the present-day Castle Planta-Wildenberg lies a long, historical lyrically rich path, which could well pass as a film-ready drama with a happy outcome.

Description

The castle stands majestically in the plain under the church hill and marks the transition to the old village part of Runatsch. Only the square tower is reminiscent of a bygone era. This medieval residential tower was probably built around 1280 and was the property of The Lords Planta-Wildenberg. The unpopular lord of the castle Rudolf von Planta had executions carried out as a statute judge, which the population resented him. He was suspected of sympathizers with the Catholics, ostracized by the court in 1618 and sentenced to death in absentia. Under the leadership of his opponent Baptista of Salis, the Engadines devastated his castle, but he fled. In 1627 he became Austrian captain and reigned again in Zernez, to the chagrin of the inhabitants, who had to rebuild it. Over the centuries, there have been many changes of ownership: from the Bishop of Chur, Conrad Planta from Zuoz, Knight Rudolf of Planta, the Bezzola and Hemmi families to the community of Zernez.

Its present appearance, the castle was given by the conversion and extension of the two additional tracts in the 18th century. Miraculously, it was spared from the great village fire. In 1985 it was acquired by the municipality of Zernez for use as a town hall. Since 2007, it has been home to the National Park Administration.

During the Kino-Openairs National Park, the Schlosshof is transformed into a fairytale film setting. The dramas now only take place on the screen and no longer behind the castle walls.

Directions

Public Transport

  • With the Rhaetian Railway (Landquart, St. Moritz, Pontresina and Scuol) every hour to Zernez
  • With postbus (from Malles/Müstair)
  • With Engadinbus from La Punt-Chamues-ch

Directions

  • From Zurich - via Landquart – Prättigau – Klosters – Davos – Flüela Pass – Susch to Zernez. Other access passes are via Chur-Thusis-Tiefencastel via the Albula Pass (only open in summer) or the Julier Pass. In case of snow, a crossing over the passes is usually only permitted with chains or 4x4 vehicles.
  • From the east: Via Landeck/Austria – along the Engadine Sterasse - Scuol – Zernez
  • From the south: Via Ofen Pass (Val Müstair), from Livigno or via Reschen Pass – Scuol, as well as from the Upper Engadin via Samedan – Zuoz to Zernez
  • In case you want to avoid a pass trip by car, there is the possibility to load the car onto the rails, from Klosters/Selfranga to Sagliains/Lavin and vice versa (guests remain seated in the car).

Parken

  • Free in the Alossai car park, the community centre car park or the family bath car park.
  • Other parking spaces at the train station and at Prà da Punt can also be used for several days.

Map

Responsible for this content Tourismus Engadin Scuol Samnaun Val Müstair AG.
This content has been translated automatically.