Rathausplatz, 7302 Landquart
On 12 May 1324, Marschlins was first mentioned in writing as castrum Marzhenins. In the 17th century, the castle passed to the von Salis family, who soon called themselves von Salis-Marschlins. In 1717, the first potatoes and the first maize in the canton of Graubünden were grown here. From 1771, a philanthropist was accommodated in the castle for six years, which had been founded in Haldenstein Castle by Martin von Planta and Johann Peter Nesemann. Later, experiments were carried out with tobacco cultivation, mulberry trees and silk spiders. From March 1799 to the end of 1800, around 10,000 soldiers and 3,000 horses were accommodated on the estate. In 1934 Marschlins was sold by the heirs of Professor L.R. von Salis and is privately owned. The extraordinary complex is an episcopal foundation and probably dates back to the middle of the 13th century. A predecessor building cannot be ruled out. The plant forms a rectangle of about 34 by 39 meters. Around the building there are two ditches, which are filled on the west side. The ditches that are now dry used to be filled with water, which probably came from slope springs in the east of the castle. A drainage of the water from the Landquart is rather unlikely, as a canal about two kilometers long would have had to be built. There are no traces of it in the terrain. The moat was already drained in the 16th century.
Responsible for this content Heidiland Tourism Ltd..
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.