Church San Bernardino Mesolcina Calanca
Chiesa San Clemente
The church of S. Clemente belongs to the oldest Roman cycle, the first reference in historical documents dates back to 1219. According to tradition, this sacred building, with a single nave and coffered ceiling, was to be a small copy of the Basilica of San Clemente in Rome. It was restored and enlarged in the period between 1656 and 1666. Starting from 1684 the Capuchin Fathers, parish priests of Grono, made significant changes to the church. Two testimonies worthy of note in the church of S. Clemente: the high altar of Gothic style and, always in the choir, two stained glass windows of 1561 depicting Saints Rocco and Sebastiano patrons of the Brotherhood and the diocesan Saints Lucio and Florino, Saints Peter and Paul and a pope (San Clemente). In 1700 the floods of the Rià di Mort, which descends between Castaneda and Calone, caused various damages to the church.
Responsible for this content Ente Turistico Regionale del Moesano San Bernardino, Mesolcina, Calanca.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.