Mine Surselva



Two mines were once operated in the municipality of Obersaxen Mundaun. The silver mines of Affeier and the ironworks in the Platenga-Tobel, whose 240 m long tunnel system is now open to tourists. Surselva Tourism Info Obersaxen organises guided tours to the show mine during the summer.


The extraction of mineral resources in the Surselva goes back to the time of the Romans and in the 19th century ore was mined in the Grisons Oberland. Local personalities ran the Platenga mine in 1818 in conjunction with a Bregenz company. According to certain sources, however, iron ore (pale ore) was exploited in Platenga between 1806 and 1813. In 1826, the mining rights were transferred to a French company. On poor transport routes lasting several hours, the ore had to be brought to Truns or Felsberg for smelting. The companies were not successful, not least for this reason. The last attempt was made in Platenga in 1870 to extract iron ore profitably.

The mouth hole to the tunnels of the mine in the Platenga-Tobel, west of the hamlet of Platenga, is located in the gorge of the Valaterbach. Private initiators have made the entrance accessible to visitors in cooperation with the former Obersaxen Tourist Office.

In the summer and autumn months (July - mid-October), guided tours of the mine take place on Mondays as part of the guest program. Special guided tours are organised for schools and groups.
Early registration with Surselva Tourismus Info Obersaxen is necessary.


Visit (guest program according to event calendar)
Adults 5.00 CHF, children up to 12 years free of charge
Extraordinary visit, groups of 10 persons or more on request


Responsible for this content Surselva Tourism.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.