Bridge Disentis Sedrun

Brücke Russeiner Tobel, Sumvitg

Das Foto zeigt die Brücke vom Zug und Autoverkehr
Das Foto zeigt die Brücke für den Strassenverkehr

Show all 4 images

Das Foto zeigt die Brücke Russeiner Tobel
On 9 January 1857, the Small Council of the Canton of Graubünden decided to build a bridge between the municipalities of Disentis and Sumvitg in connection with the expansion of the Oberländerstrasse in the Surselva over the Russeiner Gorge. The master carpenter Johann Feller from Ilanz was the master builder.

Description

The RusseinerBrücke was one of the first bridges in Switzerland to be built according to the system of William Howe. It is under the protection of the Canton of Graubünden. The wood – 450 logs for the bridge and another 400 for the scaffolding – was supplied by the two communities involved. The costs for the wood and transports amounted to 18,900 francs, the construction itself cost 21,900 francs. On November 10, 1857, the bridge was inaugurated. After 1938, traffic was routed over the newly built concrete bridge and the old wooden structure threatened to disintegrate. Schoolchildren from the surrounding area raised money to save them by going from house to house and reciting a poem by the Disentis priest Giusep Durschei. This commitment prompted residents to found the association "Pro Punt Russein". Together with the support of the Confederation and the Canton of Graubünden, the necessary funds for the rehabilitation of the bridge were procured. In 1981 the bridge was renovated. In 1937, the construction of a new bridge began, as the old wooden bridge was only approved for vehicles weighing up to 5 tons even after an undervoltage in 1914.

Map

Responsible for this content Surselva Tourismus AG.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.