Historic sites Heidiland
On the western edge of the Rütiwiese, close to the Rütibach, there is a completely free-standing grain mill in Unterterzen. It is over 250 years old. Especially in the 18th and 19th centuries, it provided its service as an important and for the time modern trading mill of Eastern Switzerland. At that time, because of the difficulties of transport, not finished flour was imported, but grain, which was only ground in the area of consumption. But even in this century, during the two world wars, grain was eagerly ground on this mill. In the interwar period, the mill was in operation for three to four weeks a year. It now served mainly the local farmers of Quarten, Oberterzen, Murg, Quinten and Mols. Here the self-sufficient could grind their grain. The mill was mainly a corn mill. However, it was ground on wheat. However, the slopes on Lake Walen are poorly suited for planting grain. It is therefore understandable that after the war farmers renounced the further cultivation of maize and wheat and specialized in cattle breeding. In 1947 the mill finally came to a standstill. During the world wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 the mill was in operation continuously, even during the night.
Responsible for this content Heidiland Tourism Ltd..
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.